The Official Website of

Copyright 2012 - 2021

St Peter's Ringland (2) Ireland 18th c. - smaller




The word gallet is from the French and has been adapted to mean the insertion of small pieces of stone into the mortar joints of masonry. The term is mostly used in England with other names such as pinning, cherry cocking and chinking being more common elsewhere. Galleting is usually used where the local stone is not freestone and is, therefore, difficult to work into regular blocks with narrow mortar joints.



See pictures illustrating the wide variety of galleting demonstrating the many regional variations of this traditional form of construction. Galleries are listed according to geographical location of the buildings. The MORE button below will take you to the first page. Please let me know if you have pictures that you would like to add to the gallery.




Everyone is welcome to use this website as a source of general information on galleting, a subject that is surprisingly broad and fascinating, on the understanding that this information is provided in good faith and within the limitations of current knowledge.


The contents are copyright and may not be used or reproduced without prior consent.


As Part of my research I am always seeking to locate examples of galleting from the UK and internationally to learn more about it and contribute to a better understanding. If you know of any examples I would be delighted to hear from you.



chichester 40 North St circa 1809 156 - smaller
Link button




I have updated my website to make it more accessible on a range of devices. This has involved a number of changes to the following pages and in  particular the galleries which are now arranged geographically according to country.


I am always very pleased to hear from you and welcome your comments. Please let me have your photographs of interesting examples of galleting or pinning. These are used primarily in maintaining a reord of galleted buildings but may also be used on this website to inform others who are interested in this subject.



That galleting may be found on Guernsey and was often of small black pebbles pushed into the mortar? - see gallery.




In Surrey "galleting" is frequently referred to as "garneting". The author, Alec Clifton-Taylor descibed this as "can look like little necklaces, strung over the building's surface." (The Pattern of English Building, 1972)




That the term "galleting" is primarily English. In other parts of the UK it is commonly referred to as "pinning" including Scotland where other terms such as "cherry cocking" and "cherry caulking" are also used.


Pinning in Scotland and Ireland frequently includes small square or rectangular pieces of stone, sometimes referred to as pups, in the vertical mortar joints.




Gallets are usually thought of as small chips or flakes of stone but other materials such as oyster shells, small pieces of brick or clay tile, slate, indeed any stone substitute may be employed.




Galleted masonry is not always visible as it may be hidden within the mortar of the joints or behind a coating of lime render.

Did you know?